SINGLE VINEYARD WINE
Jean Leon wines were precursors of what we now call Single Vineyard Wines (Vi de Finca in Catalan). This designation, issued by the Catalan government, guarantees that the wine originates in a specific vineyard and displays a unique personality born from the interplay of the soil, the vines, the microclimate and the work carried out in the vineyard.
Our Vinya La Scala Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Reserva, Vinya Le Havre Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva, Vinya Palau Merlot and Vinya Gigi Chardonnay are the first wines in the Penedès, and the second in all of Catalonia, to receive the Single Vineyard Wine designation.
Jean Leon currently has 65 hectares of land under production, of which 42 hectares are devoted exclusively to producing Single Vineyard Wines.
Characteristics of a Single Vineyard Wine:
- Grapes grown in a specific area and microclimate.
- Produced and bottled on the estate.
- Highly ranked appellation of origin (the vineyard is an appellation in and of itself).
- Documented processes in accordance with the appellation of origin or the advisory board.
- Vine age: minimum 5 years.
- Tastings governed by stricter rating criteria. Specific committee set up within the appellation.
- Vineyard yields are 15% lower than in the rest of the appellation.
- Maximum yield of 650 ml per kilo.
- Wine is exclusively barrel-aged.
- Wine producer must be a well-established brand with an excellent reputation.